Tuesday, March 6, 2007

A Series of Unfortunate Events # 3 “A Double Entendre Gaffe”


We are reading Romeo & Juliet in freshman English. As I was casting the play today, I was calling out for parts: “Who will read the quick-witted Mercutio?" "How about the hotheaded Tybalt?” “Now, I need a Peter; it’s a small part; you just come in and out.” My freshman tried to be merciful. As soon I was aware of what I said, I threw up my hands and hung my head. After the laughter, and believe me, it wasn’t as bad as it could have been, we acted out two scenes without incident.

The mishap reminded me of the time I tried to tell the story of the Trojan Horse to a group of seniors who had somehow missed the tale earlier in their education. At every turn, it seemed, I made the worst possible double entendre that one could think of related to a Trojan condom. Nevertheless, I muddled through. The class regained its composure. I had Troy in ruins when I made this last gaffe, “So to put this thing in a nutshell. . .”

I suppose we have all had those moments. Were your students merciful or unrelenting ?

3 comments:

graycie said...

If I frown it up and jump on them for hearing what I said, they show no mercy. If I acknowledge (as you did) that it was me who said something dirty, we laugh a bit together and get over it.

For perspective: My very first lesson as an English teacher several decades ago HAD to start with a particular story from our lit book. It was the story of Ali Baba. The first sentence read, "Once upon a time Ali Baba was out in the forest with his ass gathering faggots."

ahem

Lee Dixon said...

My old school used to have an awards ceremony at the end of each year to fully recognize goofs like this one.

You would certainly be nominated and probably would have won an award from our Academy back in the day!

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

85cc免費影片長片18禁遊戲美女寫真癡漢俱樂部520sexyes777情色照片免費色情貼圖18禁遊戲區免費色情漫畫辣妹當家亂倫漫畫素人大全集私人性愛自拍影片一夜情貼圖熊貓情色貼圖大高雄一夜情巨乳排球雄貓貼圖片區波波情色貼圖朱俐靜走光輕熟女無碼直播性愛自拍貼圖成人圖貼區後宮電影院入口www 18jack comsex game免費av女優色情自拍0204自拍素人圖免費自拍貼圖ab女優正妹桌布咆哮成人無料台灣自拍咆哮成人繁體日本av女優room18男女愛愛被偷拍亂倫文章成人色情遊戲一夜情深18禁地遊戲下載av999成人影城2007真情寫真kiss168成人大奶